Howard Kennedy is a "data controller". This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about you. We are required under data protection legislation to notify you of the information contained in this privacy notice
About Howard Kennedy
Howard Kennedy is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales (No OC 361417) and is authorised and regulated by The Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our registered office is at No.1 London Bridge, London, SE1 9BG, UK and our VAT number is GB 108285810.
What Information do we collect about you?
We will collect and process personal information about you when you apply for a role with Howard Kennedy (whether as an employee, contractor, Partner or otherwise). This may include, to the extent permitted by law:
Information you provide to us:
- Personal contact details such as name, gender, title, addresses, telephone numbers, and personal email addresses and date of birth, marital status and dependants, next of kin and emergency contact information, national Insurance number, bank account details, payroll records and tax status information, start date, location of employment or workplace, copy of driving licence and any other information you submit to us, including correspondence you have with us during the application & recruitment process.
- Recruitment information (including copies of right to work documentation, references and other information included in a CV or cover letter or as part of the application process)
- Employment records (including job titles, work history, working hours, training records and professional memberships)
Information from other sources:
We collect personal information about candidates through the application & recruitment process, either directly from candidates or sometimes from an employment agency or background check provider. We may sometimes collect additional information from third parties including former employers, credit reference agencies, recruitment agencies or other background check agencies carried out on behalf of the firm by Vero Screening.
Information we collect automatically:
When you make an application through our website, we may collect information sent to us by your computer, mobile phone or other access device. The information sent to us includes, but is not limited to, data about the pages you access, your computer IP address, device identifiers, the type of operating system you are using, your location, mobile network information, standard web log data and other information, including your browser type and traffic to and from our site.
Why do we keep information about you?
- To assess your skills and interest in career opportunities at Howard Kennedy, process your application, analyse your qualifications and verify your identity and your eligibility to work for Howard Kennedy (whether as an employee, contractor, Partner or otherwise).
- To communicate with you about your application, respond to your inquiries, schedule interviews, appointments and phone calls and send notices to you about other open positions.
- To protect the security of Howard Kennedy's premises, assets, systems, and intellectual property, enforce firm policies and permit the functionality of our online portal, including authorising the creation of online accounts and resetting passwords.
- Conduct background checks, which may include verification of skill proficiency, criminal history, financial history and other information that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and eligibility or as requested by the firm's clients.
- To comply with applicable laws and protect Howard Kennedy's legitimate business interests and legal rights, including, but not limited to, use in connection with legal claims, compliance, regulatory, auditing, investigative and disciplinary purposes (including disclosure of such information in connection with legal process or litigation) and other ethics and compliance reporting requirements.
Who has access to your information?
Personal information may be shared for business purposes with any person within Howard Kennedy who is part of the recruitment process.
Personal information may be shared with government authorities and/or law enforcement officials if required for the purposes above, if mandated by law or if required for the protection of Howard Kennedy's legitimate interests in compliance with applicable laws.
We may also share personal information with organisations that assist us with recruitment activities, such as with recruitment agents, agencies conducting background checks, suppliers running our online recruitment services.
What is the legal basis for processing?
We process your personal information because it is necessary to assess your application and determine your suitability for a role with the firm.
We also process your personal information where we are required to by law (for example,
compliance with record keeping, auditing, tax or other employment law obligations), or when it is in the firm's legitimate interests and when these interests are not overridden by your privacy and data protection rights.
How long will you keep my information for?
We will retain your personal information for as long as we need it to process your application. If your application results in employment with us, the information provided will be retained for purposes of your employment. Unless you indicate otherwise, we will also retain your personal information in accordance with our data retention policy to consider your candidacy for other positions that may be of interest to you.
Howard Kennedy appropriate technical, administrative, physical and procedural security measures, consistent with local and international information practices, to protect your personal information from misuse, unauthorised access or disclosure, loss, alteration, or destruction.
We will comply with data protection law. This says that the personal information we hold about you must be:
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
- Kept securely
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a "data subject access request"). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party
- If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal information, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal information to another party, please contact email@example.com.
Changes to this privacy notice
We reserve the right to update this privacy notice at any time. We will update the policy displayed on our recruitment website and/or any other recruitment materials when any changes are made.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice, please contact the Data Protection Officer by email at firstname.lastname@example.org